Monday, November 12, 2012

Chapter 9


Chapter 9

The Tradition:

“Halloween on Franklin”

October 31, 2012

 

In most colleges the time between Fall Break and Thanksgiving Break is the time for midterms. Since I am a freshman I really didn’t understand the concept because in high school we never had an actual midterm, or in general terms, a test that counts for about 30 percent of your final grade. Tests in my high school were usually given by the plenty, and performing badly on one exam/test really didn’t set you back or determine your grade in that class. Even though some college classes have more than a couple of grades, it is more often than not that your grade will consist of three or four main exams.

Even though college will present you with times that will take your stress level to its max, it will also give you things to do that actually help levitate stress. One of the biggest traditions at UNC is Halloween on Franklin St.  Franklin St. is the center of social life on the campus of UNC-CH. It is where people from all across the area come in their costumes and walk up and down the historic Franklin St. Every year about 30,000 people attend the event, and it is the biggest event on Franklin, unless of course, the basketball team wins a National Championship. In which, I hope they do at least once in my four years because that would make one heck of a chapter.

While I was studying for all of my midterms, I knew I also had to think of a costume. I wanted to be original so  people would laugh, notice, or even take a picture with me. I also thought it would be cool to go with someone. So, I ended up letting my friend pick her costume first, and I would build off that. During Fall Break she informed me that she was going to be Peter Pan, and I could either be Captain Hook or Tinkerbelle. In order to stand out on Franklin St, you can probably guess which character I chose. Tinkerbelle. Austin Helms was going to be Tinkerbelle. I just want it to sink it in for a minute.

Since I live by the motto “Go Big” I wanted the costume to look ridiculous and legitimate all at the same time. Since I was at home when I decided to become the wonderful character Tinkerbelle; I had plenty of time to collect all of the pieces of my costume. If you haven’t figured it out by now, the best place to get Halloween costumes or parts is from a local thrift store. I found a perfect green V-neck in the Valdese Thrift Shop. The lady at the counter gave me an odd look as I purchased a woman’s shirt, but I didn’t care, I knew more looks were coming. My mom helped me create this outrageous costume, which I also found odd, but you can’t blame her, she loves her son. She made me a homemade tutu, and let me use some of the wings from her classroom. (By the way my mom is a teacher; she’s pretty good at thisJ)

Finally it was time for me to spread my wings and fly down to Franklin Street. I slipped on the tights, the sweet white booty shorts, the sparkly tutu, and grabbed my wand, and was ready to rock! I’ll keep this story short and tell you that I was laughed at, pointed at, and most of all I was told that I actually looked like a girl. I didn’t know how to take that comment, but I guess I reached the goal of a legitimate costume.

Since I was dressed up like a girl I didn’t mind doing obnoxious things. For instance, my Peter Pan kept wondering away from me, and it just seemed weird walking around dressed up as Tinkerbelle without Peter. I probably yelled, “PETER!!” 100 times that night. When Peter wasn’t with me I was accompanied by a large group of Minions, whom kept me very warm. It was so cold that night, and I had barely any clothes on which didn’t help my cause. I really don’t know how I would have survived without them!

I’ll be the first to tell you that a man dressed as a Tinkerbelle that is walking around with a bunch of Minions, captures a ton of attention. Click, Flash, Cheese!! Pictures were taken left and right, from big people, small people, and people that creped me out. I definitely don’t want to become a celebrity.

As the cameras began to dwindle away the night had just begun. It was now time to go to Ms. D’s for the dance party!

Every college student needs to realize that there is a time to study and work hard, but there is also time to have a great time. However it all depends on your definition of having a great time. My opinion of having a great time is hanging out with friends, sharing stories, and in certain situations, getting my dance on. Even though you might be thinking that “having fun” means drinking; I would strongly disagree. Since I have grown up in a family that alcohol was never a staple, I have learned that it is best to stay away from the temptation. When I was packing my bags to start this adventure called college I thought that was all college was about. However, I have soon learned that it all depends on who, and what you choose to do. It all comes down to choice. Yes, I have been to one fraternity party, and quickly learned that it was not the place for me. (Mom if you’re reading, I stood there and made fun of the drunk people, you know me). My advice would be is to try to not depend on alcohol for “having fun.” My reasoning behind not partaking in the drinking scene is because I believe that it offers you no, absolutely no incentives. What happens if you get a ticket? There goes your chance of getting in to the Business School? I also believe that if you have to have alcohol to have fun, there is something wrong. I am not judging anyone; I am just stating my opinion and I believe that fun is not found in a bottle, but through friends. I hope this actually makes you consider being abstinent from drinking while in college. It will really open your eyes to so many more things. Well enough of this, I need to talk about the D’s.

The D’s dance party is a “dry” party that is held every month. A “dry” party just means no alcohol. This month was extra special because it was Halloween, and everyone showed up in their costumes. The D’s is just a house that a bunch of UNC seniors live in, and they always move their furniture outside for the dances so people can dance in their living room. Let me tell you though, this house is not very large. The living room is probably meant to fit 20 people. On Halloween there were probably 75 people crammed into that little living room. Everyone was going crazy and jumping up and down as the music blared through the speakers. It was really difficult for me to maneuver through the cramped living room because my wings kept getting tangled up with people. When I finally made it to the center, I lifted my wand and turned the little blinkers on, it was if I was carrying the Olympic torch. Yet again, I think I was the highlight of the D’s as my wand lit up the room.

My first Halloween on Franklin was a huge success. It allowed was a huge stress reliever from all of the midterms. By making a fool of myself I not only did things that I would have never dreamed of, but boosted my morale on campus. I was now the guy that was Tinkerbelle! I guess that’s cool…… but it’ll do for now.

Even though I am not an expert on taking tests, I would like to give you a little bit of advice on how to study. If you don’t know it by now, college takes work. The week before my AFRI 101 exam my professor informed the class that in order to be successful in her class you must spend 15 hours studying. The thought of studying for 15 hours might sound a little harsh, well a lot, but it’s not that bad, trust me. My best advice for studying is to study early. If you start studying a week before you will stress less, and the material will be easier to translate to that exam.  I would like to let you know that I made a 90 on my AFRI exam, with the high grade being a 93. Studying really does payoff, and that makes those fun times even sweeter!

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment