Saturday, November 3, 2012


Chapter 8

UNC vs. NC STATE

“Absolute Insanity”

October 27, 2012

One energy shot, five hours of sleep, Carolina blue paint, and beating that red team down the road, were some of the things that were involved in a Saturday that I will never forget.

When I arrived on campus here at Chapel Hill I had a few things that were circled on my calendar. One of which was the NC State game. The reason I had it marked was because it was probably the biggest game we would have all year, and if we won I would have some junk to talk to my friends. It was also a big game on campus because NC State had beaten us the last five years.

As soon as my alarm sounded on Saturday morning I felt an adrenaline rush, or it could have been from the energy shot I quickly downed. I am usually not a person that doesn’t need extra energy, however; the lack of sleep from the night before had drained me from all of my excess energy. I got up so early because the group I was “painting up” likes to be the first ones in the gate. If you ever get the chance to paint your body, do it! The paint may be cold when it hits your skin, but it’s something that every college student should have on their bucket list.

Our group decided to spell out “REDEMPTION” since we were still looking for our first win in 5 years. We arrived at the student gate at Kenan Memorial Stadium at 9:30. Did I mention that the game didn’t start until 12:30? I guess you can call it crazy, but we call it True Blue. Literally, we are True Blue.

The wait wasn’t as bad as it sounds because people began to file behind us, and every now and then someone would start a chant. Tar…. Heels! I was so ready for this game; I think I felt like I was actually playing.

At 11:00 the security guards swung the doors open, and in we fled. I was in the front of the pack, and was instructed by our leader to get to the “spot.” According to the girl that organizes it all, they always go to the same spot, and it is usually the spot that the T.V. crews target. After we all claimed the “spot” it was time to wait yet again. I think we actually waited more at the stadium than we did watching, but it was definitely worth it!

As the fans began to fill the stadium the adrenaline was continuing to pump through my veins. If you have ever been to a Carolina football game it usually doesn’t have as much excitement as a big time football school. However, since we were playing our in state rivals, it was a different story.

Ok, well I think you get the picture. It’s time to talk about the game. As soon as the first kick off was in flight, the stadium started rocking. We actually started off with two very impressive drives, making the score 15-0.  The Tar Pit, which is the name of the student section, loved every minute of it. We were yelling, chanting, and dancing every time UNC trotted into the end zone. I received a text from numerous people, and they told me to smile because I was on T.V. I guess we really were in the T.V. spot.

Even though we had a great start to the game, NC State came roaring back. They actually took a lead of 28-25 at halftime. Their quarterback threw at 4 touchdown passes that were uncontested. I kept telling one of the guys that were beside me, “in order for us to win the game, we have to outscore them.” I’m usually an optimist when it comes to my sports teams, but we just have a terrible defensive secondary. I had faith though, and I knew that are offense could come through.

At halftime I got to meet up with a friend that goes to NC State. I hadn’t seen her in forever, and it was good to talk to her for a bit. As I was about to head back to the “spot” I invited her over to the real student section (how I prefaced it). I figured she would say no, but she decided to head on over. I guess it was her fault, but she asked for it (don’t worry, I’ll explain).

The third quarter was long, and in a lot of ways very boring. There was only one touchdown scored, and it was by NC State, and I heard all about it from my friend. Then I informed her that she was surrounded by Carolina fans, and cheering for them boldly might get her thrown out. The cheers didn’t last much longer because fourth quarter was ours. Or should I say it was Giovani Bernard’s.

As I predicted the offense of UNC came storming back, and with about two minutes left on the clock they punched in a field goal to tie the game. The score now was deadlocked at 35-35. NC State received the ball and was quickly taken down. After a sack, and three unsuccessful plays, it was time for them to punt. Looking back on the whole situation, it would have probably been best if they would have just went for it.

Giovani Bernard was back deep for my Heels, and he was more than ready for this moment. The moment that would put him into the Heisman talk, the ESPN Top 10, and the moment that would give UNC their first win over NC State in 5 years.

He caught the ball, and the rest is history. Bernard jolted down the field, found a gap, and went alllllll theeeee wayyyyy!! Bernard, filled with excitement, continued to run, and ran right at us. He jumped on the wall right in front of us, it was awesome. People were smacking, hitting, and going berserk.  In the process of the mob, my glasses were slung onto the field, and I was punched in the lip. I also noticed that my NC State friend was demolished by the insanity that filled the Tar Pit. She got what she asked for, you never ever doubt the Heels.

The Tar Heels went on to win the game 43-35, in stunning fashion. It was an experience that I will never forget. The glasses that were slung onto the field now sit on my dresser as a reminder of the game, and I was also featured on ESPN’s Top 10 because of Bernard’s “Carolina Leap.”

If you haven’t noticed by now, I love to attend sporting events, and the reason is because of opportunities like this. It’s kind of weird to think about, but if I would have gone to Pfeiffer, none of this could have occurred. Take advantage of being a college student, get up early, get painted, and get crazy. Remember, you’re only in college once, well unless you plan on being a Van Wilder, which my mother informed me that was not the track that I would be taking.

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment