Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Chapter 10


Chapter 10

Homesickness:

“Just another Obstacle”

November-December 2012

 

After parading around Franklin Street, time seemed to flyby. I was already used to time flying by in high school, but I don't believe time had ever moved this fast in my entire life. Before I knew it I was sitting at home enjoying that much awaited thanksgiving meal with my wonderful family. As you may have guessed, the meal not only made me gain a few pounds but also allowed me to catch up with family members I hadn’t seen since school started. Anytime you get to spend time with your family is a blessing, and I always cherish those moments. During the break I was able to discuss my book with my mother and she informed me that I need to talk or give advice about becoming homesick. I had never really felt homesick in my three months on campus, so I thought it would be a difficult topic to write about. However, the dreaded disease of homesickness entered Joyner 115 after my parents dropped me off after break.

In my opinion, Fall Break and Thanksgiving Break was a great time to spend quality time with my family and friends. Even though the breaks gave me an opportunity to spend time with the people I love, which included my new nephew; the breaks made me extremely lazy. The reason they made me lazy because while at home I didn’t do any school work, and I was able to do what I pleased. When I returned from Thanksgiving Break I was coming off of a week of home cooked meals, no homework, and living in a room by myself. I figured that the final two weeks of the semester wouldn’t be too bad, all I needed to do was knock out four exams, and I would be on my way back home.

After my parents and I ate lunch, unloaded my clothes, and decorated my room for the Christmas holidays it was time for them to leave me again. Since I was already used to leaving them and hadn’t really felt homesick yet, I didn’t think much about it. As I made it back to my room I began to work on some work that I had procrastinated over break. I am usually not a procrastinator, but there are a few things above school work on my priority list (family, friends, and food).  When I began to read a paper on China in Africa, I was easily distracted to the things I did on break. The only thing I wanted to do was call my parents to come get me, or they if they didn’t answer, I was contemplating if I could run that far. Of course, I did none of the above, but I really wish that I could have gone home for just a few more hours. I really don’t know if I was just acting lazy, or if I really missed home that badly. It was definitely a feeling that I had never experienced before. So my advice to the people that think they will not be “homesick” at all, you are in for a very rude awakening. I have only gone home twice in three months, and up until Thanksgiving Break I had never felt any kind of homesickness. I thought that I was immune to feeling homesickness, but I guess that everyone has that “momma’s boy” in them.

Every college student learns to deal with homesickness in a different way, but I wish I was given at least some suggestions before experiencing it. If you are like me, college is the first time that you have actually lived by yourself. Sometimes the experience can get very lonely, and it can give you thoughts of giving up. I have never been one of giving up, but there have actually been times where I have considered giving up. However, as the thoughts crossed my mind I saw the goals listed on my wall (goals are so important). Then I realized how blessed I was to be at such a great university, and there are people who would do anything to be in my shoes. So, never forget you are blessed to be where you are, for some reason or another you were meant to be there. As Jimmy Valvano once stated, “Don’t give up, don’t ever give up.” Secondly, I would like to share a bit of advice that my dad gave me before I left for college. He said, “Austin, college is going to be hard, if it was easy everyone would do it.” I took that advice to heart. It gives me motivation on a daily basis because it encourages me to do my best even when the subjects or situations become difficult. His advice not only pertains to school work, but the entire college experience can feel overwhelming and difficult at times. When I was feeling homesick after Thanksgiving, I kept repeating his advice in my head. The more I thought about it, the more I began to smile because I should not be dwelling about going home; I should be working hard because that is how I will become successful. Again, it comes back to having goals. If you can place your goals in front of you, nothing but yourself stands in the way of achieving those goals. Finally I would like to inform you that your parents are always just a phone call away. I am almost certain that if you call your parents they would love to talk to you and cure you of your homesickness.

If you have fears of becoming homesick while in college I would just like you to know that my spells have never lasted longer than a day. College offers so many opportunities to keep your mind off of your home. Sometimes you will even forget about home because you will get so engaged with the college environment. I hope you realize that it is perfectly normal to become homesick, and unless you had a terrible childhood, you will experience homesickness in college. In order to become successful you must stick it out, and giving up should never be an option. If you feel a little discouraged just remember the advice my father gave me. “If it were easy, everyone would do it.”

           

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment